Friday, May 9, 2008

What To Do?

The mass of pieces and bits of plastic floating in a windless, currentless, remote area in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is:

Twice the size of the State of Texas -

In other words, this plastic mess covers over 500,000 square miles.

Or over 840,000 square kilometers.

This just can't be any good for us, the fish, or the planet.

I'm not sure why, but this environmental fact bothers me even more than many others.

I have been to the Pacific Ocean a lot, because I have lived very near it all my life, it's the largest ocean on earth, a huge amount of the world's population lives near it, but maybe it's something else.

Maybe it is the magnitude of the problem, and how, once you know where it is, it's easy to verify and measure right now.

I don't know.

But I want to find a way to help do something about it.

No comments: